The House with the Spire

It’s not a secret that every city has a building which is considered to be its architectural symbol or a visiting card.

The house with the spire is an architectural symbol of Dzerzhinsk. It was built in 1955 and is situated in Chkalov Street, 12/14. The house was designed by Alexey Fedorovitch Kusakin.

The house with the spire is made of three parts. The central tower stands on the crossroad of Chkalov and Maykovskogo streets. The part in Maykovskogo street is a four-storeyed building, in Chkalov street – a three-storeyed house. It is made on purpose because the house adjoins to an old four-storeyed building in Maykovskogo street, and to a three-storeyed house in Chkalov street. Thus the house with the spire looks harmonically and doesn’t discord with the neighbour houses.

The central tower is a five-storeyed building. The ground floor looks a bit higher than the others due to the elongated construction of the windows and doors. The windows of the 1-st, 2-d and 3-d floors are rectangular, on the 4-th floor they are arched. There are balconies on the top three floors that make the house look elegant and impressive.

The house with the spire was reconstructed in 2013. The memorial board with the name of the chief architect of the town Alexey Fedorovitch Kusakin was installed on the 28th of March 2014.