Murom is situated on the left bank of the river Oka, in 145 km from Dzerzhinsk and 137 km from Vladimir, on the borderline with Nizhegorodsky region.
It is one of the most ancient cities of Russia, it is as old as Russian state, it is a town with a millennial history. Murom is the Motherland of one of the most famous Russian heroes – Iljya Murometz. It is the capital of the festival “Family, Love and Faith” and the festival of family couples “The boat of the family happiness”.
The history of the town began in 862. In the 9th – 10th centuries Murom was a Slavic town, an outpost of colonization of the north-eastern lands by Kiev Russia.
At the beginning of the 12th century Murom became the centre of the independent princedom.
In 1237 the town was ruined by tatar troops of Baty-khan. Prince Yury Yaroslavitch restored Murom but at the end of the 14th century the political importance of the town became weaker and dependent on Moscow.
In the times of Ivan Grozny’s reign army of Murom took part in capturing Kazan. After the times of “great distemper” trade and crafts were developed in Murom.
Spassky monastery is the oldest monument of architecture of Murom. It is situated on the left bank of the river Oka. Tsar Ivan Grozny ordered to build Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral in the monastery in gratitude to the citizens of Murom for having taken part in the campaign against Kazan.
In 1691 Pokrovskaya church was built in the northern part of the monastery.
The complex of buildings of Trinity monastery is situated in the centre of the town and is considered to be the most significant example of Russian architecture of its time. It is famous for the variety and richness of the details. Kazan Gate church and its bell tower are not so rich in decoration but their architecture is more beautiful than the architecture of Trinity cathedral.
Blagoveschentsky cathedral is situated not far from Trinity cathedral, it was built by Ivan IV in 1553 and reconstructed in 1664.
Voznesenskaya church was built in the place of the wooden cathedral of the 16th century. In 1778 when the general layout of Murom was compiled the church served as a centre of main streets.
Kozmodemyanskaya church is situated not far from Spassky monastery and is considered to be the important monument of Russian architecture of the 16th century. It was built on the place of Tsar’s tent when Ivan Grozny went to Kazan. This church has the same significance for Russian culture as St. Basil's Cathedral and the Church of the ascension in Kolomenskoe.
Smolenskaya church was built in 1804-1838. Voscresenskaya and Vvedenskaya churches built on the high bank of the river Oka finish the city ensemble of Murom. Nikolo-Naberezhnaya church is situated on the embankment of the town.
Famous artist A.E. Arkhipov visited Murom in 1913-1914. Composer, pianist and teacher P.K. Valenkov lived here for a long time. The founder of the native oil geology I.M. Gubkin spent here his youth.
Bronze ornaments of Murom tribes, collections of ancient Russian art, works of embroidery, wooden sculptures, paintings of Russian and Western artists of the 17th – 19th centuries, collections of rare books can be seen in the historical and art museum of Murom.
Thousands of tourists from all over Russia come to Murom to honour the memory of St. Pyotr and Fevroniya – the patrons of family happiness.
The guyed bridge over the river Oka connects Nizhegorodsky and Vladimirsky regions. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful bridges in Russia. It is a world-class attraction and our country must be proud of it.
The town is becoming more and more popular among the tourists and the pilgrims nowadays. Ancient cathedrals, relics of monasteries, picturesque nature attract thousands of travellers every year.