The village Diveevo of Nizhegorodsky region is included into the “Golden Ring” of Russia. It is situated in the south of Nizhegorodsky region, in 180 km from Nizhny Novgorod, near the river Vichkinzy. The history of Diveevo began more than 500 years ago. Some historians think that Diveevo appeared in the middle of the 16th century after capturing Kazan. According to the legend the first owner of the village was Tatar Mirza Divej. Ivan Grozny presented him with that land and gave him the title of Prince for his military merits.
At the end of the 18th century the church in honour of Kazan God’s Mother was built, and the female community was organised. Sarov elder Seraphim is considered to be the most famous villager of Diveevo. He took active part in organising the local community in 1825-1883.
In 1861 the community was reorganised into Serafimo-Diveevsky monastery. In 1885 five-domed Trinity Cathedral was built there. At the end of the 19th century Alexander Nevsky refectory church and the Abbot’s house were built.
Famous Russian nobles were the owners of Diveevo in the 19th century. It was visited by the last Russian Tsar Nikolay II and his wife Alexandra Fedorovna.
The village suffered greatly in the years of Soviet authority. In 1927 the monastery was closed, the cathedrals and churches were ruined, different private houses were built on the territory of the monastery.
The wooden church named after St. Nikolaj Chudotvoretz and Archdeacon Stephen was built on the crossroads which led to Sarov. That’s why pilgrims often stayed here to pray and have a rest. Agafiya Semenovna Melgunova stopped here too. She saw St. Virgin Mary in her dream who ordered her to found the monk’s community on that place. Nowadays it is known as Holy Trinity St. Seraphim-Diveyevo convent.
Holy relics of saints repose in Diveevo monasteries: St. Seraphim of Sarov, Reverend Alexandra, Marfa and Elena, blessed Pelageya, Paraskeva and Maria.
The most famous sightseeings of Diveevo are holy springs. Nobody knows their exact number because they disappear in one place and suddenly appear in another one. They say, springs appear in the places where St. Seraphim of Sarov had walked. The water in the springs is holy, it can cure any illnesses and give calm and peace.
Thousands of believers from all over Russia visit Diveevo every year to kiss holy relics, to clear spiritually while walking along St. Virgin Mary’s groove and to drink water from holy springs.