Bogorodsk is a small but very beautiful town. It was founded in the 16th century. The town was named after the chapel in the name of the Nativity of Bogoroditsa (Virgin Mary). Bogorodsk is situated on the high bank of the river Oka just opposite Dzerzhinsk.
Its history began in 1570 when Ivan Grozny destroyed Veliky Novgorod and settled some citizens of the disgraced city on empty lands of Moscow state. A small group of people (about 300 people) came to these lands and founded a village Bogorodnichnoe in the name of Bogoroditsa.
In 1614 Tzar granted this village to nobleman Kozma Minin for freeing Moscow from the poles and for being devoted to his Motherland.
In the 17th century Bogorodsk was one of the centres of leather industry of Russian empire. Nowadays there are four leather plants in the town: the plant after Yurgens, the plant after Kalinin, the plant after Kashin and the plant after Venetsky. Three tanned skins on the emblem of the town symbolize leather industry.
In the 19th century Bogorodsk was called “Nizhegorodsky Versailles” because a lot of noble estates were situated here: Rukavishnikov’s estate in the village Podvyazje, Bestuzhev-Ryumin’s family estate in the village Kudreshki, the estate of the famous music expert Ulybashev in the village Lukino, Sheremetjev’s estate in the villages Savelovo and Lazarevo.
Amvrosiev Dudin monastery is situated in Bogorodsky region. There is Oransky men’s monastery in the east of the region. Uspenskaya church is situated on the central square of the region.